LACE UP YOUR HIKING BOOTS AND 'HIKE THE HILL' FOR ALL
October 11th – 31st
Join in on the fun as we make the trek from the Downtown Y up the hill to Enger Tower, all while supporting your community. This course is sure to test your strength and tenacity as you hike the two miles and climb over 500 vertical feet up the Superior Hiking Trail. Want an extra challenge? Make it a round trip!
WHY HIKE THE HILL?
Through all the ups and downs of 2020 the Y has been here to provide thousands of meals, social outreach calls, and wellness opportunities for members throughout our community.
In order to continue providing uninhibited access to healthy living we need your help. When you Hike the Hill FOR ALL you are helping ensure we are able to continue providing these services along with membership and program scholarships to youth and families in need. Here are a few reasons our community is lacing up their boots to Hike the Hill:
- I hiked the hill to give all youth the opportunity to take swimming lessons and learn the importance of safety around water.
- I hiked the hill to help families in transition reconnect and recreate in a safe and welcoming environment.
- I hiked the hill to ensure area youth are learning the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
- I hiked the hill to be a part of something bigger than myself in my community.
- I hiked the hill FOR ALL.
HOW IT WORKS
- Register for the event online, in person at a branch, or by calling us at 218.722.4745
- Pick any day and time between October 11th – 31st to Hike the Hill or choose from one of our pre-set group hike dates and times to hike it with a Y staff
- Hike the Hill! Be sure to take bring along water, take some selfies, enjoy the view, and reflect on how you are doing something great for yourself and your community when you’re out there hiking.
- Share your photos on social media with the hashtag #HikeTheHillDuluthY or send along pictures via email for us to share to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pick up your sweet “I Hiked the Hill” t-shirt November 15th or later at our Downtown branch.*
- Hiking the actual route not your style? You can still register for this event and support your community by “swimming the hill”, “hiking the stair climber”, or “arm cycling the hill” inside our walls.
- Live out of the area but want to participate? Register for the event and simply find a long, hard, 2 mile climb, wherever you are!*
*For an additional $8 we will mail you your shirt following the event. See shirt designs below/to the right.
Shirt sizes are unisex sizing and must be ordered at the time of registration. Shirts will be available for pick-up by November 15th at the Downtown Duluth branch. For an additional $8 we will ship your shirt to you, please be sure to select this option when registering for this event.
Hike the Hill with the Y!
Unsure of the route? Prefer physically distanced company on your hikes? If you would prefer to Hike the Hill with a Y staff or volunteer plan on joining us at one of the below hike times:
- Friday, October 16th 12:00 p.mm. Hike with Karina, our awesome Wellness Coach!
Saturday, October 17th 9:00 a.m. Family Hike with Brendon, CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER
- Sunday, October 18th 12:00 p.m. Family Hike with Madi, our amazing Members Services Representative! This hike will be at a kid and grandparent friendly pace with time to explore along the way. Plan on 1.5-2 hours one-way. Note: time has changed to noon in hopes of slightly warmer temperatures!
- Thursday, October 22nd 12:00 p.m. Hike with Katie, our enthusiastic Member Service Representative!
- Sunday, October 25th 9:00 a.m. Puppy Hike with Trent, our Aquatics Coordinator! Bring your furry friend, and come hike the hill with us to kick off our week of giving. All dogs must be leashed at all times and maintain non-aggressive behavior towards adults, kids, and other dogs.
- Wednesday, October 28th: Downtown Y Day of Giving!
- 7:00 a.m. Hike with Katie, our Youth Development Director!
- 12:00 p.m. Hike with Trent, our Aquatics Coordinator!
- 6:00 p.m. Night hike with Alex, our Senior Aquatics Director! Be prepared to hike while the sun is setting. Please be sure to bring a flashlight or headlamp.
Y staff and volunteers will have a basic first aid kit and cell phone along on all hikes for safety purposes. Staff will plan on hiking both up to Enger and back down to the Y, however please feel free to arrange your own shuttle to pick you up at Enger Tower if you would prefer a one-way hike. In case of inclement weather, hike cancellations will be posted on the website a minimum of two hours in advance.