Volunteers Experience Improvements In:
• Sense of Purpose and Meaning
• Time Management (lower stress)
• Heart Health (they have lower mortality rates)
• Mood and Self-Esteem (lower depression)
- Volunteers are 27% more likely to find a job after being out of work than non-volunteers
- Communities with high rates of volunteerism tend to have greater income equality than similar communities that do not
- When young people volunteer, their likelihood of dropping out of school is cut in half
Groups or Individuals Looking for One-Time Volunteer Opportunities
At the Y, we are pleased to offer one-time opportunities for individuals or groups to do volunteer work together. Whether you are an individual or a group of co-workers, friends or service club, we have something for you!
Twin Ports Coastal Clean Up
We’re getting together a group of Y members to clean-up the beach! The Cities of Duluth & Superior are getting together to host a Twin Ports Coastal Clean-Up day and we want to help. Please consider joining us on Saturday September 26th.
Where: The Beach House at the end of Park Point
When: Saturday September 26 from 9am-12pm (volunteers are welcome to join us anytime during this timeframe).
Age Requirements: All ages welcome!
To sign-up: Call or stop by the Member Service Desk or you can register online using our online registration system.
Volunteers are Needed to Help Put Together Family Meal Kits
Food for good! The Duluth Y is assisting with community food distribution through Family Meal Kits. Each meal kit includes two healthy recipes and all the ingredients needed for a family of 4 to make 2 complete meals. We need help on food packing days.
When: Wednesdays from 11am-1pm
Where: Harbor Highlands Community Center centrally located in Duluth
Fall Work Project at Camp Miller
A day of FEEL GOOD labor. Projects may include wood splitting, mowing, moving brush, painting, fence demolition/fence building, cleaning cabins and building a small deck.
When: Ideally, we’re looking for groups that can help on Fridays from 12-5 throughout September but we are really flexible and will find a time that works best for your group.
Where: YMCA Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN (89382 E. Frontage Rd., Sturgeon Lake, MN 55783)
Minimum/Maximum Number of Volunteers: We can take a minimum of 8 volunteers and a maximum of 20 for these projects.
Age Requirements: Most projects can accommodate various ages including youth.
Camp Miller Rummage Sale Weekend
We’re having a rummage sale at camp! Money raised will help support our scholarship program ensuring no child is turned away from camp due to an inability to pay. We have three days of volunteer opportunities:
Friday October 16-Duties include going through storage rooms, cabins and other buildings around camp to haul out and organize sale items.
Saturday October 17-Rummage Sale Day! Help is needed with keeping items organized, cashier assistance, etc.
Sunday October 18-Sale clean-up! We’ll be loading trucks and dumpsters with the items that didn’t sell.
Where: YMCA Camp Miller, Sturgeon Lake, MN Camp Miller is located about 45 minutes south of Duluth.
Volunteer Opportunities with Youth
Youth in Government (YIG) Delegation Specialist
What is YIG? YIG is a national program of the Y that involves teens in grades 8-12 in state-organized, model-government programs. Students have the opportunity to discuss and debate issues that affect citizens of their state and to propose legislation. The program culminates with teens serving as delegates at their state conference, debating bills on the floor of the legislature.
We’re looking for a volunteer to serve as a Delegation Specialist to attend weekly YIG meetings and assist youth in writing bills and preparing for the Model Assembly.
Position Summary: The YIG Delegation Specialist will work with students in grades 8-12 as they prepare to represent Duluth at the statewide Model Assembly. Duties will include: supporting students’ leadership development, promote youth advocacy and engage young people in the political process as delegates.
- Attend YIG meetings and assist youth in writing bills and preparing for Model Assembly.
- Must be able to attend Monday night meetings (virtually to start) from 5:30-9:00pm.
- Attend the Model Assembly at the MN State Capital. The Model Assembly is typically held the first or second weekend in January running Thursday through Sunday. Transportation and food will be provided. (Please note this event might be held virtually for 2021).
- All YIG Advisors need to be 21 or older to supervise Youth in Government students at Model Assembly.
- Basic understanding of Minnesota State Legislature and how a bill becomes a law.
- Experience in campaigning, elections and lobbying is helpful, but not required.
Volunteers Needed for the Afterschool Programs in Local Community Centers
We’re looking for volunteers to help with mentoring youth, being a positive role model, keeping youth engaged in activities and homework time. Volunteers would have the opportunity to work closely with a diverse group of at-risk students in a drop-in afterschool program. Ages of youth served: 5-16. Minimum age to volunteer is 18.
Program Sites: We have two locations: Harbor Highlands Community Center located in Central Duluth and the Gary New Duluth (GND) Rec Center located in Gary New Duluth.
Commitment: Minimum of one hour per week
Dates: Volunteer opportunities available September through early June
Days & Times: Volunteer opportunities available Monday-Friday from 2:45-6:00pm at Harbor Highlands and 2:15-5:30pm at the GND Rec Center.
Early Childhood Development Center
We’re looking for a volunteer to help us during our breakfast time! Duties include: getting breakfast ready (no cooking experience necessary), delivering it to the classrooms, clean-up and dishes. A great opportunity for someone who likes to be around small children!
Location/Program Sites: The YMCA at the Essentia Wellness Center in Hermantown
Days & Times: This opportunity is available Monday-Friday between 8:00-9:30am
Commitment: We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of one day per week
Customer Service/Miscellaneous Volunteer Opportunities
We’re calling our members to check in with them during COVID. We’re looking for volunteers to help us make these calls, connect members to resources and just be a friendly & comforting voice. If you are interested in assisting with these calls, we’d love to have your help. You would be welcome to do this at home or come into the Y to make calls.
We’re looking for either an amateur or professional photographer to take and edit pictures of our programs and events. Help us capture the action and smiling faces to share on our marketing platforms and spread the word about what we do at the Y. This opportunity has flexible hours and you can volunteer for as many or as few visits as you’d like. A great opportunity to utilize your talents and give back to the Y.
Join our Marketing Team! We’re looking for people to help with a variety of tasks: Event planning, social media management and graphic design work if one possesses such skills. This opportunity has flexible hours and a lot of work can be done at home.
Cleaning, Organizing and Work Project Volunteer
If you like to pop in a podcast and get down to work, this is the gig for you! You can make a big difference at the Y. You will help our staff interact with members and provide a safe and clean facility for all. Duties may include things like wiping dust from surfaces, folding towels and organizing storage spaces. Minimum age to volunteer is 12.
Location/Program Sites: Downtown YMCA or the Y at the Essentia Wellness Center
Days & Times: This opportunity has flexible hours and can be done whenever the Y is open.
Sports and Rec Volunteer Opportunities
The Miracle League is a program that provides youth ages 4-19 with disabilities, an opportunity to play baseball as a team member in an organized league. The Miracle League believes “Every Child Deserves a Chance to Play Baseball.” Volunteers are mainly needed to serve as buddies for kids in the program. Buddies assist Miracle League players so it could be anything from helping them at bat, get from base to base or even just cheering them on. Other volunteer positions include: Pitcher, Catcher & Dugout Manager. We’re also looking for two coaches. Minimum age to volunteer is 8 (youth ages 8-10 must have an adult present).
Miracle League Field (located in Harrison Park in West Duluth)
This program runs on Saturdays during the summer. Games begin around 10am and will be over around 11am. Volunteers don’t need to attend every Saturday but we do ask you commit to most of the games…we know people are busy in the summer!
Youth Sports Volunteer Coach
Youth Sports at the Y are game-based programs that teach children (ages 4-18 years) the fundamentals and rules of an individual sport. The Y also incorporates character development into the program for each sport. Sport schedules rotate throughout the year and include sessions for the Miracle League Adaptive Baseball Program and Swim Team.
TOGETHERHOOD (The Y's Volunteer Group)
TOGETHERHOOD is a member-led community service program that invites Y members to lead and participate in volunteer service projects that benefit the community where they live. It is designed to be a simple, fun and rewarding way for members to identify ways they can give back and support their neighbors through their own ideas, skills and energy, and the network of the Y.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED:
• Become a Committee Member-Are you looking to make a difference in your community and have ideas for service projects? Commit to attend monthly meetings, share ideas for community service projects, help plan at least four service projects in a year, recruit volunteers.
• Be a Project Volunteer-Have you been looking for an easy way to give back to your community? Become a project volunteer! All you have to do is show up and give a little bit of your time and effort.
• Become a Committee Chair-Would you like to lead a committee that is driving change in your community? Commit to plan, attend and lead monthly meetings; recruit and orient committee members. With Committee support, develop a calendar of projects that engage Y members.
• Partner Organization or Group-Do you have a project that could use Togetherhood volunteers? Do you have something that a group of Y members and community participants could help with? Become a partner with us and present at a Togetherhood meeting.
To get involved, contact Gina at email@example.com or call 218-722-4745 x159