The Duluth Area Family YMCA is one of the Northland’s most innovative and impactful non-profit organizations. We are in search of passionate leaders to join our Board of Directors and help to guide our organization as we serve our community. To learn more about some of our most recent work, please click here
Board Member Responsibilities:
• Fiduciary - Approve annual budget, investment strategy, large grants, loans and audits. Make sure funding and programs are in alignment with mission. Review financial statements and monitor fiscal controls.
• Strategic - Develop and monitor mission and strategic plan. Refresh from time to time. Hire, support and assess performance of the president. Establish policies and goals to ensure accountability to the law and our values. Identify, recruit and elect members.
• Generative – Bring personal and professional expertise to support the mission. Engage in deeper inquiry, exploring root causes, values, options, and new ideas for the organization.
Board Member Expectations:
• Support mission.
• Understand organization and policies and abide by them.
• Participate in board meetings and at least one committee.
• Attend events and site visits when available / interested.
• Make an annual financial contribution—no established minimum.
• Serve as an ambassador both in communicating out and gathering feedback of our work.
• Assist with fundraising and friendraising.
Board Member Time Commitment:
• Members may serve up to two consecutive three-year terms.
• The Board of Directors meet each month.
• Additionally, board members may serve on board sub-committees.
• Outside of committee and board meetings, board members are encouraged to attend YMCA events if available / interested. This may include site visits, fundraising events, program celebrations or trainings.